Friday, March 31, 2017

Movie: The Passengers

Name: The Passengers
Year: 2016
Director: Morten Tyldum
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Michael Sheen
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Romance
Language: English
Country: USA
Time: 116 min

Outline of the movie:
The spaceship, Starship Avalon, in its 120-year voyage to a distant colony planet known as the "Homestead Colony" and transporting about 5 thousand people has a malfunction in one of its sleep chambers. As a result one hibernation pod opens prematurely and the one person that awakes, Jim Preston (Chris Pratt) is stranded on the spaceship, still 90 years from his destination.
 
My thoughts: 
     Loved. Loved. Loved! I know there is so many technical and plot misfits. I guess any person with a strong knowledge of mathematics and physics will tear this movie apart, but I just loved it due to its originality, style, good development pace and characters. This movie had everything - love, drama, philosophical/existential questions, and incredibly suspenseful moments. The acting was great (I was pretty skeptical about Jennifer Lawrence), the pacing was good, and the visuals were amazing as well. Also the trailer didn't spoil the movie at all, which was nice; it actually provided misleading information and finding out a quite unique plot twist was a small and pleasant surprise.
     I adored the moral part of the movie: the person is to decide if he dares condemn another human being to the slow and almost isolate death in order to save yourself from insanity and loneliness. I guess it is even more difficult to live with the consequences of the murder since the victim is living by your side.
      My only gripe would be about the ending, which was still acceptable. But I have so many options to finish the movie, unfortunately I cannot write them down here as it will be a huge spoiler, but oh my! how many development paths it can be!
Rating: 
    5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment