Friday, February 12, 2021

In the Woods by Tana French

Author:  Tana French
Original title: In the Woods
Pages: 480
Edition Language: Russian
Series: Dublin Murder Squad #1
Format: e-book
Genres: Thriller
Goodreads

 Blurb:         
       In the summer of 1984 three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children. He is gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.
      Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a 12-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox (his partner and closest friend) find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery.


My thoughts: 
      Well, I was expecting more from this based on how much everyone loved it. I saw the series almost everywhere, but I was thinking it would have Jo Nesbo vibes. Of course, it is not fare to expect the same degree of suspense and tension from the other author, but I just could not help it, as both series are police procedural detective stories set in a relatively small country.
    The mystery side of the story left much to be desired. I guessed the killer in the middle of the book, but just could not figure out the motives. Sometimes the story was going very slowly and I caught myself yawning a couple of times. 
        An undeniable plus of the book are the characters and relationship between them. The characters were totally flawed, but also likeable and relatable; they felt real. I loved the development of friendships between Rob and Cassie. It was really something to find such a great duo with a strong platonic friendship. I was hoping they were going to work together in further books.
 Rating:  
    3/5  

No comments:

Post a Comment