Thursday, February 4, 2021

Wilder Girls by Rory Power

Author:  Rory Power
Original title:  Wilder Girls
Pages: 288
Edition Language: Russian
Series: no
Format: e-book
Genres: Science Fiction, Dystopia
Goodreads

 Blurb:         
       It's been eighteen months since the Raxter School for Girls was put under quarantine. Since the Tox hit and pulled Hetty's life out from under her.

It started slow. First the teachers died one by one. Then it began to infect the students, turning their bodies strange and foreign. Now, cut off from the rest of the world and left to fend for themselves on their island home, the girls don't dare wander outside the school's fence, where the Tox has made the woods wild and dangerous. They wait for the cure they were promised as the Tox seeps into everything.

My thoughts: 
      I have heard positive reviews about this book from multiple sources, and let's be real - the cover is a bomb! Unfortunately, the story itself left me untouched. It felt more like a book of character sketches: you can see framework of people, but none of them is complete and whole. I was let down by how a lot of the characters motivation for their actions didn't seem to make any sense. They either weren't explained, or some characters needed more background to be able to understand why they made the choices they did. I could not make any sense of their past, character traits and motivation. The only more or less round character is Hetty, but again the motivation of her actions is not clear. 

   Altogether, interesting premise, but the book felt very raw: many scenes did not make any impact on the story and felt cut out from the flow of the narration. Byatt's point of view contained a couple of chapters only and I found them out of the place as well. They told the story of what happened with her, but I was expecting more history and character development and got nothing.

 Rating:  
    3/5  

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about this one, but I see it's not really worth my time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people really loved it. I missed the message of the book, if there was any

      Delete