Tuesday, April 5, 2022

The Old Jest by Jennifer Johnston

Author: Jennifer Johnston
Original title: The Old Jest
Edition Language: English
Series: no
Genres: Historical Fiction
Format: Audio book
Read by: Heather O'Neill
Duration: 5h15m
Goodreads

Blurb:
      This is a compelling story of young woman from a crumbling Protestant Ascendancy family caught up in the turmoil of the Irish troubles around 1920.  

My thoughts:
      I really had no idea I would ever pick up this book. I was made by the Irish readathon. It was difficult to find a book set in the 20s, as I do not have many Irish writers on my shelf. I was even complaining (mostly to myself) about the difficulty of this year's challenge prompts. And I am so glad I ended up with this book. It made me think, it made me feel, it made me want to read more Irish literature.
      The book has the simple narrations line, but complex emotional background. The characters are well developed through small details and short dialogues. I liked the language of the novel, as it was descriptive and precise at the same time.
       It is impressive, how much emotion, tension and colours are put in a such short book. It all started as a light story of a 18 year old girl, who is on the edge of beginning her exciting journey in life. And one by one, the threads of the bigger world, of more cruel and unfair world are starting to entwine into the narration, building up the depressive and hopeless picture. 
      I guess that I enjoyed the book more as I used audio format with Heather O'Neill as a narrator.

Rating: 
        4/5  

No comments:

Post a Comment