Friday, April 8, 2022

The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne

Author: John Boyne
Original title: The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket
Pages: 197
Edition Language: Russian
Series: no
Format: e-book
Genres: Middle Grade
Goodreads

Blurb:    
   Barnaby Brocket is an ordinary 8-year-old boy in most ways, but he was born different in one important way: he floats. Unlike everyone else, Barnaby does not obey the law of gravity. His parents, who have a horror of being noticed, want desperately for Barnaby to be normal, but he can't help who he is.

My thoughts: 
    My second book for the Irish Readathon and 4th for Middle Grade March 
Not the best read, I confess. This is my second John Boyne's children's book, and I do not find both of them either captivating or educating.
The main topic is the gap between parents' expectations and children's desires. How it breaks up the families, pulling relatives apart. And it seems that there is no family in the world that would not have a disappointed parent and a child driven to a point of negation.
I would not try any John Boyne's books for children. I would probably try an adult novel and see if I enjoy it.
 Rating:  
    3/5  

No comments:

Post a Comment