The theme this week is: Book Trends You're Tired Of
This week was difficult for me as I do not collect features I do not like in the books. If I do not like the book it is usually not because one particular part was wrong or one character was lame, but I just start disliking the book as a whole. But still I was able to find some hate points in current trends))
1. Movie covers on the book. Really hate them. I do understand that you need to promote the movie, but is there not a more sophisticated way to do so? Especially if you hated the movie and love the book!
2. Stickers on the book covers, the ones you cannot remove, especially if the book has a gorgeous cover. Especially the ones that has no information value: “Now a major movie”, “Coming soon in the cinemas” and so on.
3. Series longer then 2 books. I know it is so good not to part with the characters you got in love with, but man..! waiting 3 years just to know what is going to happen... too hard for me. I prefer standalone books. At least the sequel will not ruin the impression of your favorite book.
4. Books based on one exceptional quality of one character. I understand there is always someone more capable than others, but what I mean here is that you are a really weak and initiative character and then all of the sudden some unique quality is discovered in you, and then everyone is expecting this character to be a hero but he/she is still crappy and initiative person with destiny/prophecy issues.
5. Instant love story lines. I get it in YA, but still this should not be so misused. It can be the whole range of feelings from hatred to sexual attraction, but the most frequent I come across in the books now is instant love.