Friday, February 17, 2017

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2016 Pusle Check Up

I was not sure if I need this post at all. The only important thing to is to read as much as I can. But it turned out that I completely lost the overview of the books read in connection to this challenge. I wanted to do the pulse check every 3 months, but I did not entered the challenge so long ago, so it is a half year check and I will have to continue it in the new 2017 year before I can join PopSugar Challenge 2017.

1. A book based on a fairy tale
    I read The Lunar Chronicles in the first three months of the year. I’ve actually used this series to tick off a few categories, but this one is specifically Cinder.
My review.

3. A YA bestseller
   Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances by Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle. My review.

5. A book set in your home state
    I don’t actually live in my home country, so I went with a book set in the country I currently live, otherwise it will be too easy. That’s Czech Republic, and I went with The Student of Prague by Hans Heinz Ewers. Done!

6. A book translated to English
    This was really easy. I am currently cannot tear myself away from Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo, who wrote series of detective Harry Hole. So under this category I count Nemesis by Jo Nesbo.

7. A romance set in the future
     Scarlet, from The Lunar Chronicles fulfills this one. The plot is set in some type of a "future". I still think this counts. My review.

8. A book set in Europe
   Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is mostly set up in Italy. My review.

9. A book that’s under 150 pages
   The Lonesome West By Martin McDonagh. Actually it is a play, but as it is published in a separate book, I do consider this point done. My review.

10. A New York Times bestseller
     I will go here with  Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs. My review.

11. A book that’s becoming a movie this year
     Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Riggs, Ransom. Actually I never heard about the book before I saw the movie trailer, so I picked the book solely to fulfill this requirement, but it turned out to become one of my favorite series, which I really loved. My review.

14. A book you can finish in a day
     Cress, from The Lunar Chronicles fulfills this one. I was so enchanted by the series that I really read this book within a day. My review.

17. A book at least 100 years older than you
     Kidnapped and Catriona by Robert Louis Stevenson was first published 1893.

18. A book that’s more than 600 pages
     Winter, from The Lunar Chronicles fulfills this one.The biggest book I read this year; 832 pages. My review.

19. A book from Oprah’s Book Club
     Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts. I read this book only to fulfill the requirement of this challenge. I liked the idea and positive message it carries and I liked the movie, but the book itself did not work out for me.

22. A graphic novel
    The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot. This is genre is not my cup of tea, so I grabbed the first adult looking graphic novel in the library and, frankly, quite enjoyed it.

25. A book that takes place during Summer
       Goldfinger by Ian Fleming. I believe the whole adventure started in a hotel in Miami, where Bond crossed the way of notorious criminal figure known as Goldfinger.

27. A murder mystery
      The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbø. This is not one murder mystery, but 5 killings that seems to be the deed of a serial killer. It is a grasping novel with a lot of unexpected plot twists, with one of my favorite fictional detectives Harry Hole.

30. A book with a blue cover
     My edition of The Leopard by Jo Nesbø has a winter scenery on a cover and it all together looks very blue. Another Harry Hole mystery/thriller novel, which was very intriguing and nail-biting, but not the best in Harry Hole series.

34. A book from the library
     Hotel World by Ali Smith. I've heard so much about this author and was looking forward to read one of her books, but was really disappointed. My review.

39. A book that takes place on an island
     I was confused by this one, but found out the book I read in the spring Dr.No by Ian Fleming. The story takes place mainly on the fictional island of Crab Key close to Jamaica and Jamaica itself. My review.

40. A book that’s guaranteed to bring you joy
     Fortunately, the Milk... by Neil Gaiman. This is a funny short book for children age under 10 but I had a silly smile on my face the entire time I was reading it. It was nicely written and the illustrations by Riddell are so vivid and witty. My review

Outline is 20 books out of 40. Not the greatest result. So these are all the books I read in 2016 from the creation of this blog. Before that I did not track what I was reading, so most probably I lost about 10 books from the beginning of 2016. I would give some time in the beginning of 2017 to catch up with this challenge and close it, so I can fully concentrate on my 2017 challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment