Monday, October 30, 2017

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Author: Nicola Yoon
Original title: Everything, Everything
Pages: 379
Edition Language: Russian
Series: no
Format: e-book
Genres: YA, Contemporary
Goodreads

Blurb:     
Madeline Whittier is allergic to the outside world. So allergic, in fact, that she has never left the house in all of her seventeen years. She is content enough - until a boy with eyes the color of the Atlantic Ocean moves in next door. Their complicated romance begins over IM and carries on.

My thoughts: 
     I have heard some much about it, but luckily I did not remember about what the book should  be. Actually, this is the best to get the book and wait till you forget the plot and go into it with an open mind. I do not say I was overwhelmed by it, but the reading was quite fast and easy until I started to stumble on small details that irritated me. I cannot relate to the disease description and the feeling the main protagonist had, as I have never been restricted from world perception and I cannot even imagine how difficult and frustrating it is not to know the smell of the air and touch of wood. But altogether Madeline irritated me a lot. She either passive as a fish, or breaks out of the house and fly to Hawaii; she is not consistent with the understanding of her situation and her relationship with her mother. Secondly, I was wondering where Madeline has money from. She opens the credit card and books hotel and has luxury dinner, but who is going to pay for that? Her poor mum who works alone to provide her all the care..? Not mature at all, and very egoistic. Thirdly, during all the narration, we never get any 3rd opinion on her disease... 17 years at home and not a single check by authorities? social care? or any other 3rd medical party. My parents would probably have the huge Concilium of different doctors every year...
    Altogether sweet YA romance, but it does not have solid characters and realistic world picture.
Rating:  
    2/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment