Monday, November 27, 2017

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell


Author: Rainbow Rowell
Original title: Attachments
Pages: 416
Edition Language: Russian
Series: no
Format: e-book
Genres: Romance, Contemporary
Goodreads

Blurb:    
     Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.
    Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.
     When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.
    By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.


My thoughts: 
       I did not like the book. It was boring. I did not like the characters and did not believe the story.
I do not understand the moral problems of Lincoln: he is a security manager - it is his job to read the triggered mail, so he does, and both Beth and Jennifer are aware of this fact, though they do not know him personally. Everything in the book seems so conveniently settled.
      Another thing that greatly irritated me is the imposing of the idea that Beth-Jennifer e-mails are funny. I found them terribly dull and uninteresting, but then I am reading Lincoln's thoughts about how witty and funny Beth is; and this happened several times, so it is difficult to ignore this kind of imposture. I can decide for myself if something is funny in the book or not.
    I guess I am expecting too much of a romance novel, but I heard so much praise of Rainbow Rowell, so I might be unfair to judge it seriously. I will try to relax with different books by Rowell, I am still hoping to like Fangirl.
Rating:  
    2/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment