Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Curse of the House of Foskett by M.R.C. Kasasian

Author: M.R.C. Kasasian
Original title: The Curse of the House of Foskett
Pages: 409
Edition Language: English
Series: The Gower Street Detective #2
Format: Paperback
Genres: Historical Mystery
Goodreads

Blurb:    
     125 Gower Street, 1882: Sidney Grice once had a reputation as London's most perspicacious personal detective. But since his last case led an innocent man to the gallows, business has been light. Then an eccentric member of a Final Death Society has the temerity to die on his study floor. Finally Sidney and March have an investigation to mount - an investigation that will draw them to an eerie house in Kew, and the mysterious Baroness Foskett.

My thoughts: 
      I would not say that it was a masterpiece, but at the time I read this book I truly enjoyed it. I did not guess the killer, but I was not trying to. The killing scenes were deliberately gory and it seems the author was trying to appall the reader and to me it felt a bit forced.
     I liked the idea of the badly behaved, rude and relentless detective; and though it sounds like description of Homes, Sidney Grice did not feel like a copy, but a nicely developed character. It was an entertaining and light read, just in time when I needed it.
Rating:  
    3/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment