Friday, April 26, 2019

April 26, Friday in Memes #10

The Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end the following Thursday. There will be a weekly prompt featuring a book related question. The hop's purpose is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to your own blog.

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
     At the end of a hard day, how do you get yourself psyched about writing a book review? (submitted by Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer)
My Answer:
      I cannot motivate myself to write reviews. It is always a struggle. Those books which do not leave any impression are easy to review: I just write down my thoughts and things I do not like. But  reviews about books that I loved or hated are more difficult to gather; I am usually full of emotions, and it is difficult to put in any reasonable form to convey my thoughts. So those are the longest to write. I still have one book from last year that I hated and want to rant about, but still have not even started.

Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Gillion Dumas of Rose City Reader. A weekly meme where readers share the first sentence of the book they are reading and say what they think. 
The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice. Join us every Friday and share an excerpt from a book you’ve been reading.

My Book Beginnings:
Goodreads
There was a boy called Odd. and there was nothing strange or unusual about that, not in that time or place. Odd meant the tip of a blade, and it was a lucky name.
My 56:
The fox tosses its head and walked away. Odd put his knife down and took out his hatchet once more. 'I've seen rainbows on the snow sometimes,' said Odd, laud enough for the fox to hear, 'and on the side of buildings, when sun shone through the icicles. And I thought, ice is only water, so it must have rainbows in it too. When the water freezes, I think the rainbows are trapped into it, like fish in a shallow pool. And the sunlight sets them free.'

Outline: I love Chris Riddell illustrations and I am ready to read whatever book he illustrates. His collaboration with Neil Gaiman was not bad so far, so I am hoping to enjoy this short book. Besides, the extract about rainbows is so poetic and beautiful.

8 comments:

  1. Such playful writing. I hope you enjoy it.

    I tend to skip writing reviews of books I really dislike because I figure someone spent a lot of time and effort creating it. It is a fine line though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delightful story!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Neil Gaiman but haven't read this one yet. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books that evoke extreme emotions are hard to review simply because I don't want to give too much away. Quite sadly, the books that leave a lasting impression are often my skimpier reviews. But, like you, the books that I read and were great entertainment (and nothing more) are the easiest to write.
    Either way, I don't write after a long (stressful, annoying, down-right awful) day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a hard time motivating myself to write reviews, especially of books I loved. I want everybody to love the book as much as I did, and I don’t always have the ability to put my feelings into words.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the opposite usually... The books I love/hate I can write easily. The books that I where somewhere in the middle, I struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually know a writer whose work was read by Neil Gaiman, so I pretty much think it must be like gold to have an interaction with this man, and to be able to collaborate with him must be mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete