Sunday, January 22, 2017

Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman

Author: Neil Gaiman
Original title: Black Orchid
Illustrator: Dave McKean
Pages: 176
Edition Language: Enslish
Series: none
Genres: Fantasy, Finction, Comics

Goodreads

Blurb: 
      After being viciously murdered, Susan Linden is reborn fully grown as the Black Orchid, a hybrid of plant and human, destined to avenge her own death. Now, as this demigoddess attempts to reconcile human memory and botanical origins, she must untangle the webs of deception and secrets that led to her death. Beginning in the cold streets of a heartless metropolis and ending in the Amazon rainforest, this book takes the reader on a journey through secrets, suffering and self-rediscovery.

My thoughts:   
        It's hard for me to review comic books and graphic novels because I am not much in this genre. I do try though.
        I didn't realize that Black Orchid was a DC superhero; I don't know many details about DC's superheroes, though I know Batman and Poison Ivy so it was doing fine with the plot and mystery figures.
        I do not read the blurbs of the books before reading, so the beginning was very weird and confusing for me. And actually this hooked me up. I was really intrigued, and could not make the sense of the story between present and multiple flashbacks. Surely, soon I realized soon that that was on purpose since it's exactly how the Black Orchid felt herself. After that, the story started to be a little predictable.
       Apart from superhero stuff and flower theme I was greatly impressed by the appearance of such topics as domestic violence and protection of Amazon forests and how it was incorporated seamlessly into a superhero story. How the story ended up was something completely different than I expected and I would say disappointing.
      However, the true gem of a book was the art anyway! The colors were vivid and convey the drama and effects very realistic. Altogether, this book is beautiful, and I guess I could read it even without Neil Gaiman's text.

Rating: 
    2/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment