Monday, March 18, 2019

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Author: Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Original title: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Pages: 359
Edition Language: English
Series: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe #1
Format: paperback
Genres: Contemporary, YA
Goodreads

Blurb:    
   Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.
  
My thoughts: 
     Another over-hyped book, that did not bring any pleasure in my reading life.  Saying that I hated this book would be an outright lie. But it did nothing. What I got was just an okay “something plot” with okay characters. 
    Like I hinted, there was no plot. It was hard going into this book and reading every single word and just promising myself "something is going to happen" when really, nothing exciting did. Dante and Ari were characters that one can enjoy reading about, maybe even relatable to some, but there was still nothing that was even interesting about either one.
    There were some bright spots like Dante and Ari’s friendship, discovering your identity. But that doesn’t erase the fact that I’m unsure what the point of this book was and so I grew bored very quickly and began skipping a lot. 
      My main issue was actually the epic moment when Ari was coming to the realization that he is gay. It looks like from every corner there was a nice, understanding relative with convenient smile: Oh Ari, don't you realize, you love Dante, and not just love, but LOVE. What the hell? I actually felt the pressure; the poor boy confused and cannot figure out his emotions and here come such understanding relatives and tell him whom he loves. I hated this part, they almost pushed him to Dante; it is good it all worked out, but there was so much pressure in so little words; this can change a person’s life. 
     Do not know if I would recommend it, but I see the book has its circle of admirers. I would probably soon forget about it and unhaul.
 
Rating:  
    2/5 

2 comments:

  1. Despite the cool title, this does not sound like the book for me. I like character-driven novels, but there's got to be some plot, too. 'Cause when I get bored in a book these days, I just stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did not sound like my book either, but I made an effort))

      Delete