Saturday, February 23, 2019

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Author: Neil Gaiman
Original title: Norse Mythology
Edition Language: English
Series: no
Genres: Mythology
Format: Audio book
Read by: Neil Gaiman 
Duration: 6h29m
Goodreads

Blurb:
Gaiman stays true to the myths while vividly reincarnating Odin, the highest of the high, wise, daring, and cunning; Thor, Odin’s son, incredibly strong yet not the wisest of gods; and Loki, the son of giants, a trickster and unsurpassed manipulator. From Gaiman’s deft and witty prose emerges the gods with their fiercely competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to dupe others, and their tendency to let passion ignite their actions, making these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again
My thoughts:
      I thought I am going to hate the book. First of all, I am not Neil Gaiman's fan. Secondly, I hate mythology. But I have heard so many absolutely different reviews: from the most enthusiastic to the most negative. 
    I am not an expert of the mythology and especially Norse, I did not even watch Thor movies, so I cannot judge how accurate Gaiman interpreted the myths, but the way he did it I liked. Each story was narrated in a simple way with only the gist of the story without flowery description lost in thousands of names. If any name came across it was explained over and over again, for me it was a great help as you cannot read a mythology book in one sitting and after a day or two I start to forget who is who. So after this book I have a better understanding of Norse Gods names and rule structure than if I read some scholarly book on the subject. I wish I had something like this in my youth about Greek mythology. Maybe I would end up loving this subject as Gaiman does.
Rating: 
         4/5 

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I adore mythology, and the Norse stories in particular. I've read (and written) lots on the subject, but I've not picked up this one yet. I might get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For experts this book might be a bit childish, but you can try it and see for yourself)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read a lot about Norse mythology, so this would probably be the perfect book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review, thanks. I usually don't like fantasy, but have enjoyed several books by Gaiman. Have you read Neverwhere, on an alternative London? Excellent! See my vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_f3sftfaA&list=PLJD9IPtbUPL6o5R5RQLuyM0ImZ6wrAghk&index=3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on my to read list as they say it is the best one from Gaiman.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fascinating read. I don't know a whole lot about Norse mythology, so this one is very tempting for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same was for me. I have only heard of Thor, the big guy with a hammer)

      Delete